Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Why I write what I write...Boston...


I could write chic lit, or business, or gosh lots of things.  But I wrote Captive and have just finished the sequel (well, okay, I need to do one more revision...seriously...need to...).  Terrorist novels.  My mom won't even read Captive...claiming that a book with a terrorist as a main character is too depressing.

Yes, terrorists are depressing.  Infuriating.  Unnerving.  Evil but misunderstood.  Monsters...but often fighting the wrong way for a cause in which they truly believe.  Like gang members they are sometimes the most enterprising members of their society.  And most effective.  And most successful.  Mad at me yet?

People blow people up.  Lots of people were blown up yesterday.  And the bombs were meant to maim.  Including children.

I grew up with a British dad and spent a lot of time in London during the IRA bomb scares.  People got hurt there then too.  Over 60 people died in terrorists attacks in Iraq over the past 24 hours.  Lots more were maimed and killed.  In Syria, about 70,000 people are estimated to have died over the past two years and about a million are refuges.  And it's cold there right now.  Doctors are being targeted by Assad.

Depressed yet?

That's why I wrote Captive...it's why I wrote a sequel...it's why I don't always write the light fun and easy to read stuff.  Oh, I have my education book....some lighter drafts...some....of all sorts of things.

But hopefully I never stop writing about what makes me mad.

No comments: