Monday, February 28, 2011

Do you remember The Shining?



Writing is easy but the editing will drive you (me) nuts! I’ve been comparing myself to Jack Nicholson in The Shining after the impending doom is no longer impending but a full horror. Sitting in a room looking at the same material over and trying to make the real decisions about its direction can drive you (me) nuts. I love writing but the editing gets laborious and that is when I start to feel the pressure of, “what if it’s no good?”

The phone, candy, cats and even getting the mail can be welcome distractions. Ultimately, I need to face the computer screen and just do it. I’ve been writing less on this blog because I’ve been so busy with the writing and editing of Escape, Captive’s sequel.

It has undergone major revisions and moved to Cairo (and part stays in NY).

I like Cairo but visited it so long ago. Would I recognize it if I went back? Most probably yes but as with so many places I’ve re-visted, things do change.

I have a lunch appointment today but then will be back at the computer editing this afternoon. Oh, and I need to pay bills (or will have no power to keep the computer running).

The book is finally making sense. How long will it take for me to finish a full draft? We’ll see.

The photo is frost on my patio furniture this morning (in sunny Santa Monica).

No comments: